It’s been almost 20 years since Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks fell in love via email in the rom-com classic “You’ve Got Mail.”
And everything and nothing has changed in that time. Technology has obviously evolved significantly (farewell, dial-up!), yet email remains a valuable communication tool for any small business.
Social media has stepped into the spotlight, but sources like Forbes even suggest email ought to be more than the forgotten understudy in the shadows. It is an important element of any online marketing effort, as it takes on a different and necessary role in promoting your business.
Here are a few reasons why you need to keep doing email marketing in your business:
1) Longevity: Times have changed, and apps have been created, but email has stood the test of time. The first email system dates back to 1971. Trends come and go, but email is still one of the most commonly utilized communication methods in business.
2) Presence: Livewire recently reported on a study conducted by the Radicati Group that found about 269 billion emails are sent daily by more than 3.7 billion users worldwide. Thanks to Smartphone technology, everything is at the palm of your hand these days, including email. But you can also check your email on your tablet and your laptop and your desktop and any other device you use regularly.
3) Response: It may not happen as immediately as it might on social media, but research shows email users are generally more likely to respond to an email than they are to engage with a post on Facebook or Twitter.
4) People: Your people are your people. Gmail doesn’t own your contact list; it goes with you whether you opt to use Yahoo or Hotmail instead. You’re not paying for fans like you can on Facebook, and it’s inexpensive to manage and send out emails using tools like Mailchimp on a regular basis.
5) Tracking: The world of Google analytics and SEO can get complicated quickly. Not only that, but it can be tough to tell exactly who you’re reaching and when with each post. With email you know. You have the flexibility to include as much or as little information as you’d like. You can be personal. You know your email will be delivered, and have access to email marketing tools that can track conversations and user engagement.
Email might not be trending. It’s been around longer than most methods of communication we use in small business.
But, just as it became the glue that brought two unlikely characters together in “You’ve Got Mail,” it is a necessary element to any solid online marketing plan.
Email is the single most important reason why online marketing is more important than ever – https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicoleleinbachreyhle/2015/06/16/the-single-most-important-reason-why-online-marketing-is-more-important-than-ever/#3de0ca463bff
10 Reasons Why Email Is Still Your Best Communication Tool – http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2014/05/28/10-reasons-email-still-best-communication-tool/
How Many Emails Are Sent Every Day – https://www.lifewire.com/how-many-emails-are-sent-every-day-1171210