Most of us can easily come up with a million reasons not to work out on any given day.
Whether you were up all night the day before worrying about that next big deadline at work or spent your day chasing after two toddlers while attempting to simultaneously work from home, life’s daily demands are real.
Despite whatever your reason may be, we all know the simple truth. Exercise makes us healthier, happier and ultimately more productive people. And as a small business owner whose time is precious, all of those things are worth their weight in gold.
So how do you find the time to make a workout happen in an already jam-packed, deadline-filled doosey of a workweek?
We’ve done our homework to provide you with some emotional support, practical ideas and tips and tricks for squeezing in some quality workout action when you’re short on time.
Sweat is just fat crying.
- It sounds simple, but for anyone that’s ever fallen off the wagon or had kids or is recovering from a major surgery or is simply living in the chaotic society we live it, it’s never really simple. It starts with a decision almost as important as when you took that step to invest in your business. Except that this time you’re investing in yourself. Ultimately a fit, healthy (not to mention happy) you is not only better for you personally, but it will pay dividends professionally as well.
- Fidget-cise. Known by many as an expert in-home instructor of Pilates and Yoga, Denise Austin coined a lovable phrase a few years back. True to its name, fidget-cising brings to life the idea that you can literally work out anywhere and anytime by adapting making a few changes to your day. Here are a few examples of ways to make the most of every extra minute:
- Take a walk over your lunch break, even if it’s just around the block.
- Store a couple of your favorite canned soups in your desk. Not only do they make great, quick meals in a pinch, but you can use them for office chair arm workouts.
- Swap out a balance ball for your chair to improve your posture and work your abs (without even really thinking about it) while you’re sitting at your desk.
- Do a few squats while you’re making copies.
- Combine down time you spend watching TV with commercial workouts by getting up and walking around or doing a few push-ups, squats or lunges during the commercial breaks of your favorite shows.
- Make the most of the time you spend doing chores. Park farther away from the entrance of the store, do a few bicep curls with some of the groceries before you put them away or add a couple of squats to your routine while emptying the dishwasher.
- Climb some stairs during breaks at work.
- Try an app. Nowadays fitness apps are a dime a dozen, but the best part about that is there is something for everyone. Not only that, but oftentimes its free or available at a reasonable rate. Beachbody has revolutionized the way America approaches fast, effective workouts with its programs like T25, Turbo Jam, Hard Corps, Piyo and Cize. Many workout regimes are targeted at all skill levels and feature time-sensitive workouts to fit your schedule.
Making excuses burns zero calories. Work-life balance is important. See why here.
- Get a fitness tracker. Fitbit has developed a commanding presence in the realm of fitness tracking, and for good reason. It is capable of tracking everything from your resting heart rate and how many steps you take to your sleep patterns and other activity throughout the day. Aside from Fitbit, there are a variety of more affordable options that function with a similar purpose. These devices are a brilliant reminder to remember to stay active – it’s hard to forget such things when it’s attached to your arm at all times.
- Check out the local gym. Amid the day and age of all things technology, sometimes that’s just not the right fit for everyone. I could see it being especially challenging for small business owners who already are more likely to struggle setting boundaries and establishing a solid sense of work-life balance. Finding ways to work out while you’re at the office or doing chores at home is all well and good, but sometimes you just need that escape. A sense of separation from everything else, where you can focus and dedicate time to you is something the local gym has to offer than nothing else really does. Whether you opt to go use their state-of-the-art equipment or you want to try out a Body Pump or Cycling class, many local gyms are there for you 24/7 these days.
As a small business owner, you know excuses get you nowhere. Time is precious, but there really is no excuse to justify not carving out at least some time for yourself each day.
You’ve already taken the steps to bring your passion to life and invest in your business. Now it’s time to invest in yourself.